UnderConstruction Tallinn connection is a collaborative project in words & images between international artitsts.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008



After having been working there for a couple of years in 2005-2006, i went back to Sillamäe (Estonia) last february. There were these huge billboards everywhere, none of my friends in Sillamäe understood what was written!....."my own state, my happiness (chance), my joy" and below "Estonia", celebrating the 90th Anniversary of the Republic of Estonia. These posters made me smile, sadly though, in Sillamäe live 97% Russian speakers, the whole region is in a very critical economical situation..and it was me, with my poor Estonian, my Estonian passport in my pocket, although i was not born in Estonia as they were, who explained to my hosts in Sillamäe what was written in the billboards all around their city.

No comments: